You’ve seen a few friends of friends post about their “natural” beauty regimens. Sure, her skin glows, but the whole thing feels good for her but not for you… You want to use safer products, but the thought of dousing your hair in vinegar or making your own foundation is just too far a stretch.
So, you head to the department store (not excited about that either) and restock the same old-same old products you’ve grown accustomed to. You reason that you’ve not grown a third arm, but then secretly wonder if your 5-part skin regimen has anything to do with your hormonal issues.
Sigh. Who knows?
If you’re ready to make some changes in your personal care but you still want ease and awesome results, I’m thrilled to introduce you to Beautycounter.
Beautycounter is a skincare, haircare, and cosmetics company (with some fun things for the little ones and fellas) that prides itself on using safer, rigorously tested and formulated products that work–so well, you’ll wonder where they’ve been all your life!
The State of the Beauty Industry
But first, let’s talk about what the alternative is. What IS happening in the beauty industry?
5 things you can’t un-know
- Decades of research indicate that serious health issues such as cancer, infertility, and asthma are on the rise due in some part to our ongoing exposure to toxic chemicals (remember that what we put on our skin ends up in our bloodstream).
- The U.S. has not passed a major federal law governing the cosmetic industry since 1938.
- There are more than 80,000 chemicals on the market today (yes, we know that everything is made of “chemicals,” but you know what we’re talking about here). Many don’t have safety data. This is particularly true of the beauty industry.
- The European Union has banned or restricted 1,400 ingredients from personal care products. The United States has banned or restricted 30.
- The FDA does not have the authority to remove harmful ingredients from the products we put on our bodies every day.
As you can see, there is a real need for safer beauty products. Products that not only do you no harm–but also do you good.
WHAT MAKES BEAUTYCOUNTER (BEYOND) BETTER?
Beautycouter’s mission is to get safer products into the hands of everyone. In order to make this mission a reality, Beautycounter has instituted several important policies.
1. THE NEVER LIST
Beautycounter has banned over 1,500 questionable or potentially harmful ingredients from their products. These little gremlins occupy what’s often referred to as the Never List.
2. A RIGOROUS INGREDIENT SELECTION PROCESS
Beautycounter created a 5-step Ingredient Selection Process to ensure that we can feel confident in the safety of their products.
3. PARTNERSHIPS THAT MATTER
Beautycounter is a Founding Member of The Environmental Working Group’s (EWG) VERIFIED program, which digs into more than “skin deep” and drives companies to disclose potentially harmful ingredients not listed on product labels.
They’ve also partnered with Tufts University in cutting edge research on endocrine disruptors and the beauty industry.
4. TOTAL TRANSPARENCY
Beautycounter makes no unfounded claims about their products and even instructs consultants like me to avoid using “greenwashing” language that many major cosmetic companies do in hopes to make their products appear more natural or safe.
They don’t mask what’s inside by hiding behind words such as “fragrance” or “parfum.” Nope. You can easily find detailed information about the product, its sourcing, testing, and derivation.
Not all ingredients are naturally derived or organic and all that info is at your fingertips.
AN EASY CHOICE
With all that being said, Beautycounter is the obvious choice for me.
Would it be better to exclusively wash your hair in vinegar, moisturize with coconut oil, and stain your lips with cherry juice?
But, that’s not for me. How about you?
Beautycounter allows me to feel confident and comfortable with my beauty product choices while feeling great in my own skin.
If you’d like to learn more about what Beautycounter products would be your best fit, fill out this skincare questionnaire and I’ll send you personalized recommendations!